Prevention is the Best Medicine:
• Plan ahead and take extra water to all outdoor events and work areas where increased sweating, activity,and heat will increase loss of fluid from the body.
• Avoid exercising and going outdoors during the very hot part of the day. Plan outdoor activities early mornings or after sunset when it is cooler.
• Keepsufficient drinking water available.
• Avoid drinkingalcohol when it is very warm because alcohol increases water loss and reduces your capacity to sense early signs associated with dehydration.
• Wear light-colored and loose-fitting clothing if you go outdoors when it is hot. Carry something to fan yourself with.
• Break up your exposure to hot temperatures. Find shady areas and allow yourself to cool between exposures. It will help reduce the effects of high heat exposure.